Sunday, September 16, 2012

All Things Enya--

Enya     (tvtropes..org)
I don't quite remember who or even when, I was introduced to the songstress Enya. All I know is I've loved her voice and musical orchestrations since forever. When "The Memory of Trees" was released, I played the entire CD over and over, 24 hours straight-- maybe three days straight. I woke up the next morning to the sound of track #8, Tea House Moon playing! My daughter Kelli couldn't believe I'd played the CD all night long. When Kelli came home from school later that day, the music of Enya was still playing on the stereo; and, she had little choice but to fall in love with Enya too. So, I'm dedicating this Blog post "All Things Enya" to my daughter Kelli Michelle, now a mother herself, to daughters Collage and Corrine.

This is for you Kelli. ~~Mom


Enya Brennan is an Irish singer, instrumentalist and songwriter.  She gained recognition for her music in the 1986 BBC series The Celts but it was with the release of her 1988 album Watermark that propelled her to international fame.  Enya became known for her distinctive sound, characterised by voice-layering, folk melodies, synthesised backdrops and ethereal reverberations.

There are truly some crazy people out in the world.  I was surprised to read in Wikipedia that  beginning with Watermark, Enya began to attract the attention of stalkers, several of whom succeeded in breaking into her castle and attacking some of the staff.  As a result, Enya spent an estimated €250,000 on security measures for her home, Manderley Castle in Killiney.  In 1996, a man who had been seen in Dublin wearing her photograph around his neck, stabb himself after being ejected from her parents' pub in Gweedore. 

Enya has an extensive body of work and has enjoyed many rave reviews in her career.  A few of my favorites have been uploaded for your listening pleasure below.  These videos will open in a new window so that you can continue working uninterupted on your computer.   I'll be writing about other interesting singers so please  Subscribe to All Things Zen by Email  to get the lastest and greatest.  And, your suggestions for new subjects are greatly appreciated.  ###







 
Mt. Kilimanjaro | by Anna Langova
 

No comments:

Post a Comment